Renters Insurance

Renters insurance can help safeguard your possessions and may protect you from personal liability.

Learn MoreGet A Quote »

Renters Insurance FAQ

If a driver who is not named on my policy borrows my vehicle, is that driver and my vehicle automatically covered?

Most policies are “permissive” use policies so you would be covered. If you purchased a “named-driver” or “named-operator” policy, only drivers listed on the policy are covered.

There are a number of factors you should consider when purchasing any product or service, and insurance is no different. Here is a checklist of things you should consider when purchasing automobile insurance.

  • Purchase the amount of liability coverage that best fits your budget and protects you, your family, and your assets or future earnings.
  • Decide which optional coverages you want. For example, do you want the optional physical damage coverages in Comp/Collision or is the market value of your car too low to warrant purchasing them.
  • Finally, once you have decided what you want in your automobile insurance policy, you can now decide who you would like to purchase the insurance from. For example, you may decide you like the idea of purchasing insurance from a mutual company rather than a stock company.
  • You should also decide whether you would like an insurance broker to assist you in your purchasing decision or if you would like to buy the insurance directly from a company that sells insurance over the phone or through the mail. There are several reasons why you should choose an Independent Agent instead of purchasing directly from the internet or a direct writing company like Farmers or State Farm.

What is the minimum amount of auto insurance that I am required to carry?

Insurance requirements relating to minimum coverage differ from state to state. Liability is the only insurance required by law in California. The limits required in California are often referred to as “15/30/5” coverage and include:

  • $15,000 bodily injury per person
  • $30,000 maximum per accident
  • $5,000 property damage per accident

Is minimum coverage sufficient?

In determining your coverage limit, one of the most important factors to consider is the overall value of your assets. If, for example, you own a business or a home, you may want higher limits of liability coverage to protect those assets. Another consideration is to protect future earnings. While there is no set formula, you always want to secure coverage in proportion to your assets, so in case an accident did occur, you have sufficient coverage to cover the loss. If you are at fault and severely injure another person, you may be held personally liable for the bodily injury and physical damages beyond the scope of your liability coverage.

Additionally, if you lease or finance your car, it’s likely that your liability coverage limits may have to be higher, usually $250/500,000. You should check with the leaseholder to determine the appropriate level of your coverage. For our customers who own businesses we recommend a minimum of $1,000,000 in auto liability coverage. Most auto policies do not offer a liability limit this high so a personal umbrella may be needed.

Our main rule of thumb is to buy as much liability insurance as you can afford. PIA customer support agents are licensed, non-commissioned insurance professionals and can provide advice regarding general coverage limits.

What is liability coverage?

If you are involved in an accident, liability coverage covers the costs related to the injuries and property of the other parties involved in the accident, up to the limits of your policy. This does not include your own medical expenses or the expenses of any of your passengers.